Human rights defenders at local and national levels are recognised to be essential actors in the struggle for human rights and enjoy the freedom and security to undertake their legitimate activities.
The mission of Front Line Defenders is to protect, defend, support, and act for and with human rights defenders whose lives and health are at risk because of their peaceful and legitimate activities.
In providing protection and support to human rights defenders, Front Line Defenders and its staff are committed to:
- focusing on the primacy and centrality of defenders;
- demonstrating profound respect and empathy for defenders;
- meeting the needs expressed by defenders in a fast, flexible and relentless manner;
- achieving tangible impact;
- acting with independence, impartiality and integrity;
- performing with dedication, professionalism and accountability;
- showing transparency and openness; and
- developing participative and cooperative relations.