Front Line Defenders is recruiting a Capacity Builder for the Middle East & North Africa (MENA) who will conduct training and consultations on risk analysis and protection planning with Human Rights Defenders at risk. We are looking for someone with excellent facilitation skills and the ability to instil confidence and inspire trust with diverse groups. The successful candidate will have a practical background working in human rights with communities, and have an element of holistic security as a formal or informal aspect of their work.
It is essential (non-negotiable) to be fluent in Arabic and competent in English, and to be based in the region.
The deadline for applications is 12th February.
Please send a CV and cover letter addressed to Anne Rimmer to email@example.com with the job title as the email subject line.
The purpose of the role of MENA Capacity Builder is to offer HRDs holistic support in order to reduce risks. This requires the Capacity Builder to assist HRDs to understand how to analyse risk and create protection plans for themselves, their organisations, families and communities as appropriate. The protection plans will be multi-dimensional, based on the context and unique needs, and normally cover physical protection, wellbeing and digital protection (expert advisors are available to assist with the digital aspect).
The Capacity Builder will themselves plan and deliver this risk analysis training, and also support others to deliver workshops. The Capacity Builder will be responsible for organising all logistics, including venue, accommodation, meals and travel.
The orientation of this work will be informed by the needs expressed by HRDs in the region, and will take place in coordination and cooperation with other staff, in particular those in the region.
Background (role and team)
The Capacity Building team comprises the Head of Capacity Building and a part-time Capacity Builder in the Europe and Central Asia region. The long term plan is for a part-time Capacity Builder in each world region. In 2021 Capacity Builders for the Americas and the Middle East & North Africa (MENA) regions are being recruited.
The programme’s heart is the provision of holistic risk analysis and protection planning workshops for HRDs at risk around the world. An informal team of HRD-trainers is also developed through Training of Trainers. As well as risk analysis workshops (some now online) the Capacity Builders also conduct risk analysis with individual HRDs, risk analysis sessions with organisations, and may organise expert webinars or other events on issues raised by HRDs.
The Capacity Builder will develop a tailored learning programme on Risk Analysis and Protection Planning for HRDs at risk in the region.
This will include:
- consulting with colleagues and HRDs at risk about the protection needs in the region
- creating a plan for the year in consultation with the Head of Capacity Building and Protection Coordinators. This may include trainings outside the region.
- conducting and supporting risk analysis and protection planning workshops (some of which may be online), especially for the most vulnerable HRDs at risk
- follow up with all training participants to support their protection planning, and particularly with Training of Trainers’ participants to support their development as trainers
- supporting, developing and mentoring (as appropriate) the Front Line Defenders network of trainers in the region
- one-to-one consultations with HRDs on protection planning including follow up
- mapping relevant resources in the region for HRDs at risk, including wellbeing experts and opportunities, and working in alliance with others as appropriate
- creating new modules, learning experiences and events in response to the needs of HRDs in the region, the gaps identified through the mapping, and the programme priorities
- writing reports on activities and programmes as requested
- managing the budget for each workshop/event
- providing HRD-related information on the Front Line Defenders database system
- working on other specific projects as requested.
The Capacity Builder will be expected to participate in induction, weekly team meetings and relevant out-of-hours events.
The Capacity Builder will work primarily with the Head of Capacity Building and in close cooperation, coordination and complementarity with the Protection and Digital Protection Coordinator/s for the region and the Security Advisor.
Essential Knowledge and Experience
- 2 years experience of leading effective participatory training in one or more aspects of holistic security for HRDs in the region
- 3 years experience of working for the region. Excellent knowledge of the region, including familiarity with the human rights situation and environment in which local human rights defenders operate
- 2 years experience of administrative and logistics work including report writing and budget management
- fluent in speaking and writing Arabic and competent in speaking and writing in English. These language requirements are non-negotiable.
Desirable Knowledge and Experience
- a qualification in wellbeing or one year’s experience of conducting sessions on wellbeing
- expertise in French will be an asset
Essential Technical and Interpersonal skills
- excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to instil confidence and inspire trust with a diverse group of people
- excellent oral and written communication skills enabling effective communication with a diverse group of people
- ability to identify learnings from experience and apply them
- respectful of and responsive to deadlines for reports and feedback
- ability to use social media and secure communications applications
- flexible and cooperative
- able to work on own initiative and as part of a team
- meticulous in administration and logistics work