Reports to: Executive Director
- Job Title: US Representative, Front Line Defenders
- Reports to: Executive Director
- Staff reporting: None
- Location: New York City or Washington DC
- (exact location to be agreed with the successful candidate)
- Hours: Full-time
- Contract: 2 years
- Probation period: 6 months
- Salary: 70,000 – 80,000 USD
Front Line Defenders has been steadily growing its programmes and support to human rights defenders at risk globally over the last number of years. Front Line Defenders is now seeking to develop a formal presence in the United States to raise the profile of human rights defenders, undertake advocacy and engage with our civil society allies and our donors.
The US Representative is responsible for strengthening the capacity of Front Line Defenders to provide practical support to human rights defenders at risk globally through strengthened outreach, advocacy and engagement in the US. The US Representative will engage with decision makers, civil society, donors and other allies, and help strengthen a constituency of support to HRDs in the US. The US Representative will work in cooperation with the Front Line USA Foundation.
- Represent Front Line Defenders in the United States at meetings, conferences and other human rights spaces, and further develop the organisation’s profile and awareness of human rights defenders protection needs in the US, including through participation in campaigns, events and social networking;
- Support Front Line Defenders advocacy work on behalf of HRDs at risk by actively participating in selected meetings and engaging with decision-makers and other key stakeholders in the US on select HRD cases and themes;
- Coordinate events and visits of human rights defenders to the US in order to increase awareness of the work of human rights defenders as well as promote the organisation's work;
- Support the development team by sustaining contacts with Front Line Defenders US-based funders where relevant, and help support US-based fundraising efforts, including outreach efforts to new potential donors, attending relevant donors conferences and building relationships with prospective donors;
- Liaise with other NGOs, donors, partners and allies as appropriate, and build relevant alliances;
- Work collaboratively with all staff, fellows and volunteers and undertake whatever other relevant tasks/projects as specified by the Executive Director or Deputy Director.
The US Representative will work in close cooperation with Front Line Defenders Executive Director, the protection, visibility, advocacy and development teams, as well as with the Front Line USA Foundation.
The successful candidate will have previous experience of human rights related work and have an in-depth knowledge of the human rights space in the US, particularly with regard to human rights defenders. The successful candidate will have experience engaging with decision makers, civil society and the philanthropic sector. The successful candidate will have strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills, and be able to work with people from different cultural backgrounds. The successful candidate will have proven independence and integrity and a sensitivity towards the situation of human rights defenders.
Knowledge and Experience
- Minimum 7 years of work experience in civil society, human rights, and government engagement programs at national or international level;
- In-depth knowledge of US foreign policy and of the key actors in the human rights space among policymakers, government officials, and the philanthropic sector, particularly with regard to human rights defenders;
- Familiarity with international human rights mechanisms, including those related to human rights defenders;
- Experience of working with gender-focused initiatives, including but not limited to gender policies and gender-sensitive programming;
- Good knowledge of NGO circles in the US.
- Experience in fundraising and engaging with private donors, such as foundations, corporations and high-net worth individuals. Knowledge of US philanthropy in the human rights and other related fields;
- Excellent English oral and written communication skills. Working knowledge of one of Front Line Defenders other working languages (Arabic, French, Russian and Spanish) is desirable;
- Readiness to travel (mainly within the US), but also a minimum of two annual trips to Dublin for organistaional meetings.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and creatively;
- Excellent political judgement, including the ability to make strategic choices based on sound analysis of potential costs and benefits;
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment;
- Self starter who can work independently and take initiative;
- Strong interpersonal and relationship-building and networking skills;
- Sensitivity towards the situation of human rights defenders.
Applications, comprising CV and cover letter in a single pdf file named ‘[surname]_[name]_US Representative’, should be addressed to Andrew Anderson, Executive Director at email@example.com.
The closing date for applications is 30 June 2021. Please indicate the full title of the position (US Representative) in the subject line of the email, or the application may be missed.
First interviews are expected to take place mid-July.
Please note this role is a re-advertisement. It was originally advertised in March 2020, but the recruitment process was then ceased, due to the global pandemic. We strongly encourage any applicants who applied initially to re-apply.