Front Line Defenders invites applications for a part-time Research & Training Fellowship to support its work in Iran and other Persian speaking regions. The candidate will work in close coordination with the Protection Coordinator for the Middle East & North Africa region, and will provide support to other relevant staff across other programme areas as required. The Research & Training Fellowship will be for 6 months on a part time (40%) basis and based in Front Line Defenders' office in Blackrock, Co. Dublin, Ireland.
The Research & Training Fellowship is designed to provide training and practical work experience in an international organisation to recent graduates seeking a career in human rights. The participant will learn about Human Rights Defenders; the UN Declaration on Human Rights Defenders; the mandate of the UN Special Rapporteur; the role of Front Line Defenders and other national and international organisations in the support and protection of human rights defenders; the specific situation and challenges facing human rights defenders. He/She will be expected to participate in induction, weekly team meetings and case meetings, and relevant out-of-hours events.
The Fellowship participant will be able to draft well and have good analytical skills. He/she will have some knowledge of the UN system and international and human rights law. He/she must be able to work in both English and Persian. Please note that we cannot make exceptions to the language requirement.
He/she will be able to work on own initiative and as a member of a team. He/she will have good oral and written communication skills and be computer literate. He/she will be flexible and cooperative. Previous work experience with organisations working in the field of Human Rights is desirable.
Basic terms of reference:
- Provide support to the Protection Coordinator working on Middle East & North Africa, including dealing with routine queries and correspondence with human rights defenders;
- Maintain active communication with Persian-speaking human rights defenders;
- Input HRDs-related information on the Front Line Defenders' database;
- Undertake research on human rights defenders in Iran;
- Compile and draft as requested briefings, country summaries, input to reports, urgent appeals, etc.;
- Support follow-up on cases taken up by Front Line Defenders;
- Provide support to other relevant staff across other programme areas as necessary;
- Provide Persian-language support;
- Work on other specific projects relating to human rights defenders as requested.
This is a part-time fellowship. The successful candidate will be required to work two days a week. Front Line Defenders is able to provide a contribution to living costs of €480 per month. The Fellowship will start on 1 March 2018 for a period of six months. Applications comprising a cover letter and CV should be sent to Ed O'Donovan, Head of Protection by 30 December 2017. Applications can be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Important: please indicate the FULL title of the position you are applying for in the subject heading of email: 'Research & Training Fellowship: Iran (Persian-speaking)' or the application may be missed.