Front Line Defenders invites applications for a part-time Research and Admin Fellowship to support its work in Iran and other Farsi-speaking regions. The candidate will work in close coordination with the Protection Coordinator for the Middle East & North Africa region, and will provide support to other relevant staff across other programme areas as required. The Research and Admin Fellowship will be for 6 months on a part time (40%) basis and based in Front Line Defenders' office in Blackrock, Co. Dublin, Ireland.
The Research and Admin Fellowship is designed to provide training and practical work experience in an international organisation to recent graduates seeking a career in human rights. The participant will learn about Human Rights Defenders; the UN Declaration on Human Rights Defenders; the mandate of the UN Special Rapporteur; the role of Front Line Defenders and other national and international organisations in the support and protection of human rights defenders; the specific situation and challenges facing human rights defenders. They will be expected to participate in induction, weekly team meetings and case meetings, and relevant out-of-hours events.
The Fellowship participant will be able to draft well and have good analytical skills. They will have some knowledge of the UN system and international and human rights law. They must be able to work in both English and Farsi. Please note that we cannot make exceptions to the language requirement.
They will be able to work on own initiative and as a member of a team. They will have good oral and written communication skills and be computer literate. They will be flexible and cooperative. Previous work experience with organisations working in the field of Human Rights is desirable.
Basic terms of reference:
- Provide support to the Protection Coordinator working on Middle East & North Africa, including dealing with routine queries and correspondence with human rights defenders;
- Maintain active communication with Persian-speaking human rights defenders;
- Input HRDs-related information on the Front Line Defenders' database;
- Undertake research on human rights defenders in Iran;
- Compile and draft as requested briefings, country summaries, input to reports, urgent appeals, etc.;
- Support follow-up on cases taken up by Front Line Defenders;
- Provide support to other relevant staff across other programme areas as necessary;
- Provide Persian-language support;
- Work on other specific projects relating to human rights defenders as requested.
This is a part-time fellowship. The successful candidate will be required to work two days a week and so must already be based in Ireland. Front Line Defenders will provide a contribution to living costs of €500 per month. The Fellowship will start as soon as possible and continue for a period of six months.
Applications comprising a cover letter and CV should be sent to Ed O'Donovan, Head of Protection.
Applications can be sent by email to email@example.com.
Important: Please indicate the FULL title of the position you are applying for in the subject heading of email: 'Research and Admin Fellowship: Iran' or the application may be missed.
Front Line Defenders is an Equal Opportunities Employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
In providing protection and support to human rights defenders, Front Line Defenders and its staff, interns and volunteers are committed to:
- focus on the primacy and centrality of defenders;
- demonstrate profound respect and empathy for defenders;
- meet the needs expressed by the defenders in a fast, flexible and relentless manner;
- achieve tangible impact;
- act with independence, impartiality and integrity;
- perform with dedication, professionalism and accountability;
- show transparency and openness;
- develop participative and cooperative relations.