(Arabic & English Required)
Front Line Defenders invites applications for a Research & Admin Fellowship to support its work in the MENA region. The selected candidate will work in close coordination with the Protection Coordinators for the region, and will provide support to relevant staff across other programme areas in relation to our work in the region, as required. The fellowship will be for nine months and ideally should be based in the region. Should the situation allow during the course of the fellowship, the fellow will be invited to complete the fellowship from Front Line Defenders' office in Blackrock, Co. Dublin, Ireland.
The fellowship is designed to provide training and practical work experience in an international non-governmental organisation to recent graduates seeking a career in human rights. The fellow will learn about Human Rights Defenders; the UN Declaration on Human Rights Defenders; the mandate of the UN Special Rapporteur; the role of Front Line Defenders and other national and international organisations in the support and protection of human rights defenders; the specific situation and challenges facing human rights defenders in the region; and advocacy at the EU level. They will be expected to participate in induction, periodic reviews, weekly team and case meetings, and relevant out-of-hours events.
The successful candidate is expected to have good writing and analytical skills. They are expected to possess some knowledge of the UN system, the EU system and international and human rights law. They must be able to work in both English and Arabic (written and spoken). Please note that we cannot make exceptions to the language requirement.
The fellow will work on own initiative and as a member of a team. She/he/they must be able to operate in a fact paced environment in a flexible and collaborative way. She/he/they will have good interpersonal skills, and ability to multitask and prioritize is a must. Previous work experience with organisations working in the field of human rights is desirable.
- Provide support to the Protection Coordinators working on the Middle East and North Africa, including responding to queries and regular correspondence with human rights defenders;
- Input HRD related information in the Front Line Defenders' database;
- Undertake research on human rights defenders in countries in the region;
- Compile and draft as requested briefings, country summaries, input to reports, urgent appeals, or other materials;
- Support follow-up on cases taken up by Front Line Defenders;
- Keep up with the political situation in the region as relevant to HRDs
- Provide support to staff across other programme areas in relation to activities carried out in the region, including with the organisation of and follow-up on trainings;
- Carry out administrative duties as requested, including the taking of minutes in meetings;
- Provide Arabic language support as necessary, including simultaneous translation for human rights defenders and various documents;
- Accompany visiting human rights defenders to events and activities
- Work on other specific projects and tasks relating to human rights defenders as requested.
Please include your CV and cover letter in the same attachment and title it with your last name. Applications should be addressed to Meerim Ilyas at firstname.lastname@example.org by 15 June 2021.
The expected start date for the next MENA Research & Admin Fellowship is July 2021, The position is for a period of nine months.
Front Line Defenders will provide a contribution to living costs of €1400 per month and will cover internet connection costs. Front Line Defenders will reimburse the successful candidate the cost of their flights to and from Dublin. Please note that the cost of living in Dublin is high and that you may need additional funds to sustain your stay in Ireland if the move becomes possible. Front Line Defenders will assist with the Irish visa application process if relevant.
Front Line Defenders is an Equal Opportunities Employer. We are committed to cultivating a diverse and inclusive workplace, where everyone is able to bring their full potential. We strive to create a welcoming space where everyone, no matter their gender, race, ethnicity, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, education, or disability, is valued and respected.
Front Line Defenders is an Equal Opportunities Employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community. Due to the volume of applications received, Front Line Defenders is unfortunately not in a position to respond to candidates who have not been shortlisted.
In providing protection and support to human rights defenders, Front Line Defenders and its staff are committed to:
- focus on the primacy and centrality of defenders;
- demonstrate profound respect and empathy for defenders;
- meet the needs expressed by the defenders in a fast, flexible and relentless manner;
- achieve tangible impact;
- act with independence, impartiality and integrity;
- perform with dedication, professionalism and accountability;
- show transparency and openness;
- develop participative and cooperative relations.