Front Line Defenders is seeking an exceptional candidate with significant human rights experience to take on this challenging post based in the region. The Protection Coordinator (Field-based in East Asia) will be responsible for maintaining and developing Front Line Defenders' contacts with human rights defenders in countries in the region, providing rapid response to cases of human rights defenders at risk, undertaking research on the threats and attacks that they face, providing analysis and producing relevant materials to take action in their support, and inputting into all other programmes and activities related to the region.
The successful candidate will have at least three years experience of human rights related work in the region and excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Chinese. Please note that we cannot make exceptions to the language requirement. The successful candidate will have demonstrated sound political judgement, a good cross-regional perspective and the ability to deliver accurate and objective written information in a high pressure environment dictated by the need to respond urgently to threats against human rights defenders. They will have worked with defenders of a range of genders and sexual identities, and have a strong understanding of the gendered risks facing women human rights defenders and LGBTI defenders. They will have experience of developing gender responsive protection strategies
The location of the post in the region will be finalised with the successful candidate. Salary according to experience.
Applications comprising CV, cover letter and examples of published research should be sent to:
Deputy Director, Front Line Defenders, Grattan House, Temple Road, Blackrock, Co. Dublin, Ireland
The position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. Please indicate the full title of the position in the subject line of the email, or the application may be missed. Please include your CV and cover letter in the same attachment and title it with your last name.
Protection Coordinator (Field-based - East Asia) Job Description:
The Protection Coordinator (East Asia) is responsible for maintaining and developing Front Line Defenders' contacts with human rights defenders in the region, undertaking research on the threats and attacks that they face, providing analysis and producing relevant materials to take action in their support.
- Identify human rights defenders at risk and establish and sustain secure communications with them;
- Provide rapid response to cases of human rights defenders at risk, including but not limited to the urgent appeal system;
- Deepen Front Line Defenders’ engagement with women human rights defenders and LGBTI defenders in the region;
- Undertake research on the threats and attacks that human rights defenders face, obtain information, verify it and provide input for reports and other related materials which can be used to generate action on their behalf, whilst ensuring the independence, accuracy and credibility of the information Front Line Defenders publishes on the region.
- Provide analysis and briefing papers on the threats faced by human rights defenders in specific countries and provide expert input to Front Line Defenders' advocacy, media work, training activities and small grants program;
- Maintain and update the relevant information on human rights defenders and action taken on their behalf in the database.
- Develop contacts and liaise with relevant regional and other organisations with regard to Front Line Defenders' work for the protection of human rights defenders in the region.
- Rrepresent Front Line Defenders to relevant authorities, international organizations and the media as appropriate.
- Undertake other projects as delegated by the Director/Deputy Director/Head of Protection
The Protection Coordinator (East Asia) must be willing to travel on a regular basis as part of their role.
Front Line Defenders is an Equal Opportunities Employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
In providing protection and support to human rights defenders, Front Line Defenders and its staff, interns and volunteers are committed to:
- focus on the primacy and centrality of defenders;
- demonstrate profound respect and empathy for defenders;
- meet the needs expressed by the defenders in a fast, flexible and relentless manner;
- achieve tangible impact;
- act with independence, impartiality and integrity;
- perform with dedication, professionalism and accountability;
- show transparency and openness;
- develop participative and cooperative relations.