Front Line Defenders is seeking an experienced human rights researcher/campaigner to take on this challenging post based in the region. The Protection Coordinator (Americas) will work together with the existing Protection Coordinator for the region and will be responsible for maintaining and developing Front Line Defenders' contacts with human rights defenders from the Americas, providing rapid response to cases of human rights defenders at risk, undertaking research on the threats and attacks that they face, providing analysis and producing relevant materials to take action in their support, and inputting into all other activities of the organisation related to the Americas.
The successful candidate will have at least three years’ experience of human rights related work in the Americas and excellent written and oral communication skills in Spanish and English. Please note that we cannot make exceptions to the language requirement. Ability to communicate in French would also be an asset. The successful candidate will have demonstrated sound political judgement, a good cross-regional perspective and the ability to deliver accurate and objective written information in a high pressure environment dictated by the need to respond urgently to threats against human rights defenders. They will ideally have experience of working with human rights defenders at risk, knowledge of the security risks that they face and the different strategies and tools available/needed to overcome these challenges.
The exact location of the post is in the region and the division of country responsibility with the current Protection Coordinator will be finalised with the successful candidate.
Applications, comprising CV, cover letter and examples of published research should be sent to:
Andrea Rocca, Deputy Director
Front Line Defenders
Grattan House, Temple Rd, Blackrock, Co. Dublin, Ireland
Applications can be sent by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for applications is 19 March 2018.
***Please indicate the full title of the position in the subject line of the email, or the application may be missed.***
Job Description: Protection Coordinator (Americas)
The Protection Coordinator (Americas) will be responsible, along with the current Protection Coordinator for the region, for maintaining and developing Front Line Defenders' contacts with human rights defenders in countries in the Americas, providing rapid response to cases of human rights defenders at risk, undertaking research on the threats and attacks that they face, providing analysis and producing relevant materials to take action in their support, and providing input into all other activities of the organisation related to the Americas. They will also represent Front Line Defenders in public and private events, meet with country authorities and other stakeholders and liaise with organisations working on similar issues in the region to coordinate response strategies to human rights defenders at-risk.
1) Identify human rights defenders at risk and establish and sustain secure communications with them;
2) Provide rapid response to cases of human rights defenders at risk, including but not limited to the urgent appeal system;
3) Undertake research on the threats and attacks that human rights defenders face, obtain information, verify it and provide input for reports and other related materials which can be used to generate action on their behalf, whilst ensuring the independence, accuracy and credibility of the information Front Line Defenders publishes on the region;
4) Provide analysis and briefing papers on the threats faced by human rights defenders in specific countries and provide expert input to Front Line's advocacy, campaigns, media work, training activities and small grants program;
5) Maintain and update the relevant information on human rights defenders and action taken on their behalf in Front Line Defenders' database;
6) Develop contacts and liaise with relevant regional and other organisations with regard to Front Line Defenders' work for the protection of human rights defenders in the region;
7) Represent Front Line Defenders to relevant authorities, international organizations and the media as appropriate;
8) Undertake other projects as delegated by the Director, Deputy Director or Head of Protection.
The Protection Coordinator (Americas) works as necessary in Spanish and English and must be willing to travel on a regular basis as part of their role.
The post reports to the Head of Protection.