The purpose of the Internship is to support the work of the Special Rapporteur on Human Rights Defenders at the African Commission on Human and Peoples' Rights (ACHPR). It is a 12 month position based in Banjul/ Cotonou. Candidates should be able to work in English and French. Front Line Defenders will prioritise the recruitment of interns who have experience as a human rights defender in Africa.
Basic terms of reference:
- Gather information on the situation of human rights defenders in Africa (with a particular focus on themes of concern identified bythe SR);
- In coordination with other thematic mechanisms and with geographic desk officers, draft urgent appeals and communications to Governments concerning human rights violations against human rights defenders;
- Support follow-up of cases;
- Analyse replies received from Governments and prepare summaries for inclusion in the annual report;
- Assist in the preparation of background materials for official missions by the Special Rapporteur;
- Assist in liasing with non-governmental organizations for the smooth implementation of the mandate, as needed.
Honorarium: 950USD per month.
The deadline for applications is 21 July 2017, for the internship starting in September 2017.
Please send a cv and cover letter addressed to Tara Madden to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Front Line Defenders is an Equal Opportunities Employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
In providing protection and support to human rights defenders, Front Line Defenders and its staff are committed to:
- focus on the primacy and centrality of defenders;
- demonstrate profound respect and empathy for defenders;
- meet the needs expressed by the defenders in a fast, flexible and relentless manner;
- achieve tangible impact;
- act with independence, impartiality and integrity;
- perform with dedication, professionalism and accountability;
- show transparency and openness;
- develop participative and cooperative relations.