Front Line Defenders invites applications from candidates to join the team in support of its work in Portuguese speaking countries, with a particular focus on BRAZIL. The selected candidate will work in close coordination with the Protection Coordinator for South America, as well as provide support to other relevant staff across our programme areas in relation to the protection work we develop with human rights defenders at risk in Brazil and other Portuguese speaking countries.
This is a 16 month contract which will combine administrative support with research and outreach to human rights defenders.. The Fellow will work remotely, based in Brazil, and must be able to work in both English and Portuguese. They will be able to work on their own initiative and as a member of a team. At least two years work experience in the field of human rights is essential. They must have an understanding of risks faced by human rights defenders in Brazil. The fellow will be expected to participate in induction, periodic reviews, weekly team and case meetings, and may need to attend relevant out-of-hours activities.
Interviews will take place in mid-August. The candidate is expected to start in September 2020.
Basic terms of reference:
- Provide support to the Protection Coordinators working on the Americas, including dealing with queries and correspondence with human rights defenders and authorities;
- Provide administrative support to staff working in the region, including the taking of minutes in meetings, filling forms and reports, schedule and organise meetings, produce information for monitoring and evaluating activities, among others;
- Compile and draft as requested briefings, country summaries, input to reports, urgent appeals, or other materials;
- Research and draft profile pages for Front Line Defenders website
- Support HRDs through Front Line Defenders protection grants process;
- Provide support to staff across other programme areas in relation to activities carried out in the region, including in particular in the organisation of and follow-up on trainings, research for the Memorial Project and assistance to Front Line Defenders work on business and human rights
- Provide Portuguese language support as necessary, including interpretation for meetings and calls and translation of communication between Front Line Defenders’ staff and Portuguese-speaking human rights defenders
- Undertake research on the situation of human rights defenders in Brazil and other Portuguese speaking countries;
- Support follow-up on cases taken up by Front Line Defenders
Please include your CV and cover letter in English on the same attachment and title it with your last name. Applications should be sent to Ed O’Donovan, at email@example.com by 31 July 2020. Please refer to the position in the subject line of the email or your application may be lost.
Front Line Defenders is an Equal Opportunities Employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.