Front Line Defenders invites applications for a part-time consultant to support its work in Iran and other Farsi-speaking regions. The candidate will work in close coordination with the Protection Coordinator for the Middle East & North Africa region, and will provide support to other relevant staff across other programme areas as required. The consultancy will be for six months on a part time (40%) basis as the need arises. Recruitment for this position will stay open until filled.
The consultant will be able to draft well and have good analytical skills. They will have some knowledge of the UN system and international and human rights law. They must be able to work in both English and Farsi. The consultant will be expected to participate in a week-long induction at Front Line Defenders Dublin office at the beginning of their consultancy; costs will be covered by Front Line Defenders.
The consultant will be able to work on their own initiative and as a member of a team. They will have good oral and written communication skills and be computer literate. They will be flexible and cooperative. Previous work experience with organisations working in the field of Human Rights is desirable.
Basic terms of reference:
- Provide support to the Protection Coordinator working on Middle East & North Africa, including dealing with routine queries and correspondence with human rights defenders;
- Research and draft Urgent Appeals on cases of human rights defenders at risk in Iran, in close cooperation with the MENA Protection Coordinator, and advise on advocacy efforts;
- Provide linguistic and strategic support to other relevant staff across other programme areas as necessary, especially the protection grants programme;
- Translate content for Front Line Defenders’ website from English to Farsi
- Maintain active communication with Farsi-speaking human rights defenders;
- Input HRD-related information on the Front Line Defenders' database;
- Undertake research on human rights defenders in Iran;
- Compile and draft as requested briefings, country summaries, input to reports, urgent appeals, etc.;
- Support follow-up on cases taken up by Front Line Defenders;
- Work on other specific projects relating to human rights defenders as requested.
Please include your CV and cover letter in the same attachment and title it with your last name. Applications which are not in this format may be missed. Applications should be sent to Meerim Ilyas, Deputy Head of Protection, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Front Line Defenders is an Equal Opportunities Employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
In providing protection and support to human rights defenders, Front Line Defenders and its staff, interns and volunteers are committed to:
- focus on the primacy and centrality of defenders;
- demonstrate profound respect and empathy for defenders;
- meet the needs expressed by the defenders in a fast, flexible and relentless manner;
- achieve tangible impact;
- act with independence, impartiality and integrity;
- perform with dedication, professionalism and accountability;
- show transparency and openness;
- develop participative and cooperative relations.