Terms of Reference: Mapping and Review of Research, Policy and Advocacy Programming and Coordination – Consultant for Front Line Defenders
Closing date: Midnight, CET, March 1st 2021
Location: Home based
Type of contract: Self-employed consultancy contract
Duration of contract: 15 days
Budget: €6750 (incl VAT)
Start date: Mid-March 2021
Estimated end date: 30th April 2021
Front Line Defenders
Front Line Defenders is an international organisation, with its headquarters in Dublin, that works for the protection of human rights defenders at risk through providing practical support through security grants, physical and digital security training, advocacy and campaigning.
We are seeking a consultant to document Front Line Defenders current internal structures, processes and terminologies related to research, policy and advocacy. The consultant will be expected to:
Interview all key staff who are involved in our advocacy, policy and research work with an aim to document the different processes, structures and activities within these fields and ascertain how staff understand the processes related to advocacy, policy and research within their respective roles, and also what staff understand as ‘research’ ‘advocacy’ and ‘policy’ and their responsibilities in those processes.
Review preselected documentation such as evaluations, guidance on processes, sample urgent appeals, statements, reports (including research reports, briefing notes, quarterly reports, annual analysis reports) and job descriptions.
- Based on the above interviews and the review of relevant documentation, the consultant will be expected to draft a 15-20 page report summarising the current status of our internal processes for our advocacy, policy and research work and the consultants understanding of best practices in this area. The report should also:
- Include a mapping of Front Line Defenders current structures for advocacy, policy and research work showcasing the respective associated staff roles/functions, coordination between departments, the main activities undertaken, the targets and the theory of change around this work.
- Include a matrix of the current decision-making processes for advocacy, policy and research.
- Document the current processes and create an inter-dependency flow chart with a clear description of the interlinking processes between our staff working on advocacy and research (example: What is the process flow for research reports, Urgent Appeals etc).
- Provide an analysis on how the assessments of human rights defenders are considered in our decision making around research, advocacy and policy work.
- Identify a list of commonly used advocacy and research phrases and terminologies used within the organisation.
- Map how the database is used to record and monitor research, policy and advocacy.
- Identify any gaps and inefficiencies and outline recommendations for reforms to make our processes more efficient including around organisational structure, staff coordination and resourcing and make recommendations for terminology, including, descriptions to describe advocacy, policy and research work.
- The consultant will work closely with Front Line Defenders Deputy Director and the Head of EU Office, who will support the consultant in all aspects of the project, as needed and relevant.
Required expertise and qualifications:
- A degree in Human Rights Law, Public Policy, International Development, International Relations/ Diplomacy or any other relevant university degree
- Knowledge and understanding of human rights defender programmes
- Extensive expertise, knowledge, and experience in the field of human rights research, policy and advocacy
- Knowledge and experience of using research/survey/mapping concepts, approaches, tools, techniques, methodologies
- Experience of conducting similar assignments for international organisations
- Strong analytical, verbal, and report writing skills in English
To apply, please email Rachel Breen (firstname.lastname@example.org) with:
Your CV and a cover letter of no more than 2 pages (CV and cover letter should be sent in one PDF document titled with applicant’s last name)