NOMINATION PROCESS FOR THE 2021 FRONT LINE DEFENDERS AWARD FOR HUMAN RIGHTS DEFENDERS AT RISK IS NOW OPEN
Front Line Defenders is currently accepting nominations for the 2021 Front Line Defenders Award for Human Rights Defenders at Risk:
The annual Front Line Defenders Award was established in 2005 to honour the work of HRDs who are courageously making outstanding contributions to the promotion and protection of the human rights of others, at great personal risk to themselves. The Award focuses national and international attention on the HRDs work, providing them with a greater national and international platform to speak about and advocate for their work.
Starting in 2018, Front Line Defenders changed the format of the Award, naming 5 Regional Award Winners, with one chosen as the Global Laureate by an jury comprised of representatives of Ireland's parliament from a number of political parties. In 2021, Front Line Defenders took the decision to name all 5 regional winners as Global Laureates, in response to the overwhelming positive response to the greater visibility and recognition of the winners of the Award.
For each region of the world (Africa; Americas; Asia-Pacific; Europe & Central Asia; and Middle East & North Africa) there will be one winner selected and Front Line Defenders will recognize all five as the 2021 Front Line Defenders Award Laureates.
The nomination process is open for anyone to submit a nomination of a human rights defender, collective, organisation or community working on any human rights issue and facing significant risk due to their work or operating in an environment that itself is characterised as insecure. The purpose of the Award is to give visibility to HRDs who are not normally acknowledged or recognised at the international level. At the same time, the Award should not bring additional risk for which the HRD is not prepared. In addition to the Award, winners will receive:
- a modest financial prize;
- a security grant to improve their security measures;
- collaboration with Front Line Defenders for media work in recognition of the Award;
- advocacy by Front Line Defenders related to the Award and the work of the winners;
- an event co-organized by the HRD, local partners and Front Line Defenders to give visibility to the Award in the winners’ countries (as determined and guided by the winners);
- the Global Laureates will attend a ceremony in Dublin at a date to be determined;
- ongoing security consultation with Front Line Defenders
If you would like to nominate a HRD for the 2021 Front Line Defenders Award for Human Rights Defenders at Risk, please follow this link to the secure online nomination form
As the person, group or organisation making the nomination, you will be consulted by Front Line Defenders to verify the information submitted and possibly for additional information. Please complete all parts of the nomination form to the best of your ability.
Please submit nominations via the online form. If there are any problems using the form, or if you have any questions, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
To read about previous winners of the Front Line Defenders Award, visit:
Deadline for nominations: 30 April 2021
- Incomplete nominations will not be considered. Please complete the nomination form in full and provide all of the information requested.
- Nominations can be submitted by organisations or individuals.
- Individual nominees may not play a prominent role in a political party and must be currently active in human rights work (the Front Line Defenders Award is not intended to recognise a historical or posthumous contribution).
- Nominees should be active human rights defenders, and must not be living in exile.
- Self-nomination is not permitted.
- The number of nominations a HRD or organisation receives is not considered when evaluating the nominees.
- All nominations must be accompanied by 2 references.