NOMINATION PROCESS FOR THE 2020 FRONT LINE DEFENDERS AWARD FOR HUMAN RIGHTS DEFENDERS AT RISK IS NOW OPEN
Front Line Defenders is currently accepting nominations for the 2020 Front Line Defenders Award for Human Rights Defenders at Risk:
The annual Front Line Defenders Award was established in 2005 to honour the work of HRDs who are courageously making outstanding contributions to the promotion and protection of the human rights of others, at great personal risk to themselves. The Award focuses national and international attention on the HRDs work, providing them with a greater national and international platform to speak about and advocate for their work.
A winner will be selected for each of the 5 world regions (Africa; Americas; Asia-Pacific; Europe & Central Asia; and Middle East & North Africa) to represent that region, and from those 5, one will be selected as the Global Laureate.
The nomination process is open for anyone to submit a nomination of a human rights defender, collective, organisation or community working on any human rights issue and facing significant risk due to their work or operating in an environment that itself is characterised as insecure. The purpose of the Award is to give visibility to HRDs who are not normally acknowledged or recognised at the international level. At the same time, the Award should not bring additional risk for which the HRD is not prepared. In addition to the Award, winners will receive:
- a modest financial prize;
- a security grant to improve their security measures;
- collaboration with Front Line Defenders for media work in recognition of the Award;
- advocacy by Front Line Defenders related to the Award and the work of the winners;
- an event co-organized by the HRD, local partners and Front Line Defenders to give visibility to the Award in the winners’ countries (as determined and guided by the winners);
- the Global Laureate will attend a ceremony in Dublin on May 15;
- all 5 winners will attend a ceremony and have opportunities and public presentations in the United States (exact programme to be determined);
- ongoing security consultation with Front Line Defenders
If you would like to nominate a HRD for the 2020 Front Line Defenders Award for Human Rights Defenders at Risk, please follow this link to the secure online nomination form
As the person, group or organisation making the nomination, you will be consulted by Front Line Defenders to verify the information submitted and possibly for additional information. Please complete all parts of the nomination form to the best of your ability.
Please submit nominations via the online form. If there are any problems using the form, or if you have any questions, please contact: email@example.com
To read about previous winners of the Front Line Defenders Award, visit:
Deadline for nominations: Monday, 6 January 2020
- Incomplete nominations will not be considered. Please complete the nomination form in full and provide all of the information requested.
- Nominations can be submitted by organisations or individuals.
- Nominations can be made in English, Spanish, French, Russian, Arabic and Farsi. We will also accept Chinese and Portuguese submissions via the English and Spanish nomination forms respectively.
- Individual nominees may not play a prominent role in a political party and must be currently active in human rights work (the Front Line Defenders Award is not intended to recognise a historical or posthumous contribution).
- Nominees should be active human rights defenders, and must not be living in exile.
- Self-nomination is not permitted.
- The number of nominations a HRD or organisation receives is not considered when evaluating the nominees.
- All nominations must be accompanied by 2 referees.